For someone who takes as many vacations as humanly (and monetarily) possible, I continue to add new adventures and destinations to my bucket list. I’m pretty sure I was born with the “wanderlust gene” so I don’t think I will ever stop dreaming about new adventures. I secretly search out and price vacation packages that are not on the horizon for travel in my immediate future. I love to research and plan what I call “fake” vacations. One day, they might become a reality and I will already have the entire vacation planned!
This Mom’s Top 5 Travel Bucket List:
- Amtrak Journey – I want to tour America by rail and sleep in a sleeper car. Currently Amtrak has several guided and independent tours ranging from 3-13 days. With so many options to choose it is hard to narrow down just one – but I am leaning toward the Glacier National Express. A 10 day tour that begins in Chicago to Glacier National park and ending in Seattle. They also offer a Southwest Tour, East and West Coast Tours, as well as Canadian and Alaskan adventures.
- Disney Food & Wine Festival – I’m ready to “Taste my way around the world” at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival. Over the past few years I have been stalking the website and Facebook page of this event that runs from mid-September to mid-November. We have a few friends that go every year (sans kids) and RAVE about how much fun they have. Food. Wine. Disney. Is there any other event that could be more fun for the entire family? (hmmm… could we get away with leaving the kids at home for this one?)
- Caribbean Island Hopping – We’ve vacationed in both St. Croix and Grand Cayman and realize the Island atmosphere suits us. It gives us a chance to slow down and enjoy the beaches, snorkeling, diving and everything an Island has to offer. I would LOVE the chance to spend one month (or more) hopping from Island to Island. Spending a few days on each Island experiencing it’s unique local culture and cuisine while doing a little diving and snorkeling along the way. We would take a combination of Island Hopper flights, ferries, and private Catamaran tours, making sure to include some of the less traveled Islands like Anegada and Montserrat.
- Italy – Spend a month at a Villa with an outdoor pizza oven on the Italian coast. Years ago we were fortunate to have our own outdoor pizza oven and I really miss cooking on a wood fired hearth. Sunday would be an all-day social and cooking event. What better way to step it up a notch and enjoy our own pizza than in THE home of old world wood fired brick oven cooking? I hear the wine there isn’t bad either! Of course no trip to Italy would be complete without visiting Rome, some of the Ancient Ruins, and ending with a trip to the beautiful Island of Sardinia.
- Spanish Immersion Vacation – I feel I am missing something by not being multilingual. I really want to be able to speak another language fluently. Our kids already take basic Spanish in grade school; something unheard of when I was growing up. Our oldest son is excited about Spanish and I wish we were bi-lingual so we could help him. I have found a few family Spanish immersion vacations programs. The first being La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel in Spain. They offer one-on-one immersion Spanish language classes while staying at their Eco-hotel, Eco volunteering opportunities, organic meals, activities and excursions. They also offer specially designed courses for children, using a mixture of activities and interactive teaching methods. I found several family Spanish immersion packages from Habla Ya. They offer Spanish learning vacations in multiple locations around Panama. Families can also participate in Eco-tours and local cultural social events. What I like about this program is the accommodation option of living with a host family. This gives your family the unique position to practice Spanish 24/7, and an opportunity to experience Latin culture, customs and way of life during your Spanish course in Panama.
What is on your Travel Bucket list? Have you experienced any of the above vacations? Please share your travel dreams or tips on mine in the comments below.
Cover Image courtesy of artur84 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net